Established in 1992, Carnmoney is a Member Owned Private Club with 430 principle members and ~630 playing members in total. We are located just south of the Calgary city limits with quick access to the core of the city. We have a member elected Board of Directors who works with the management team to create and constantly update our long term strategic plan for the Club that is built around our Vision statement (see attached). We have a young, vibrant membership that is looking to constantly improve the Club in all ways.
Description of Role
As the leader of the Golf Maintenance Team, the golf Course Superintendent directs, coaches and coordinates the activities of workers engaged in the repair, maintenance, landscaping and related structures and buildings of the golf course grounds. This includes meeting or exceeding the established standards for member, guest and employee satisfaction, along with prudent cost control for the Maintenance department.
Responsibilities and Duties
The Superintendent leads by example by taking a proactive position on all issues concerning the operation of the golf course; setting the benchmark of performance in the area of innovation, motivation and animation for the Maintenance team.
• Human Resources
o Interview and hire key staff positions; train new employees and conduct performance management to recognize, motivate, improve and maintain employee performance, productivity and growth
o Support and encourage succession plans for the team member of the golf course maintenance team by demonstrating a commitment to personal learning and development
o Oversee others in the proper and safe operation and maintenance of mechanical and power equipment as well as the use of all maintenance vehicles.
• On Course
o Create a yearly agronomy plan to provide superior playing conditions, combined with a long term vision for overall turf health
o Implement positive change to improve playability of the golf course and aesthetics of the grounds and maintenance and care of plants, shrubs and trees
o Lead health and safety initiatives for the department to mitigate safety risks on and off course
o Ensure proper winterization of the golf course to facilitate good recovery in the spring
o Oversee all on-course projects, directing and delegating where applicable
o Supervise and participate in the application and recording of chemical applications (fertilizers and pesticides) on the Club’s grounds in compliance with all local, provincial and federal regulations.
• Budgets and Planning
o Produce the annual budget that includes all expenses incurred in the maintenance department
o Work with suppliers, with the goal of cost efficiency and environmental consideration
o Supervise and control all maintenance expenses associated with Golf Course Operations, including payroll, supplies, chemicals and fertilizers.
o Assist the General Manager to establish business goals through timely budgeting and capital project planning
o Develop a 3-5 year rotating plan for capital equipment replacement with the General Manager
o Coordinates snow removal and winter maintenance activities for the Club.
o Oversees the contracted management of our water treatment plant
• Bachelor of Science Degree in Turf Science or a 2 year Turf Grass diploma
• A current Pesticide license which includes knowledge of safe use, mixing and application of chemicals and commercial products
• Strong interpersonal skills, a positive influence able to communicate effectively with management, employees and guests
• Leadership Skills and the ability to work with a Golf Club management team to meet yearly goals
• Ability to calibrate sprayers, spreaders, scientific instruments, irrigation control software etc.
• Knowledge of the Game of Golf, rules and methods of play
• Experience in golf course construction and the ability to work with golf course architect
• Basic understanding of mechanical operations and hydraulics to guide our mechanic
• Strong problem solving skills
Compensation and Perks
• The compensation package will match the experience and skills of the successful candidate. Compensation will consist of a competitive base salary and annual bonus. The compensation and benefits will be discussed fully with the finalist candidates.
Please send resumes to:
Carnmoney Golf Club
Thank you for your interest. Only selected candidates will be contacted.